Schools and other group visits to The Tawhiti Museum and/or Traders & Whalers can be arranged by contacting either Nigel or Teresa. Bookings are essential for large groups and school groups.
School groups must be well supervised* and focused in their studies. Adults are charged a reduced admission fee provided they are actively helping co-ordinate and supervise the group.
We would encourage teachers, where practical, to visit the museum sometime prior to their class's visit to become familiar with the physical layout, and design a more focused programme for their specific age level and topic being studied. If we can help with this process, please ask, as nothing annoys us more than giving up our time for poorly organized visits.
*NOTE - adequate supervision of groups is mandatory as it is a health & safety issue - in case of an emergency/evacuation etc.
Rules for visiting groups - schools - general public
- Keep an eye on your children - they are your responsibility
- No children under 14 allowed in unsupervised
- Respect the collections, displays - no touching
- Keep voices conversational
- No running
- No smoking on site
- No eating/drinking in museum and other attractions.
- No flash photograph in museum
- No photography or video is permitted in Traders & Whalers what so ever - this includes the use of cell phones